Clinic / Latex Allergy

NISD Health Services

 

Latex Allergy Dangers: Your Child Has a Classmate with Latex Allergies

 

 

Dear Parent/Guardian,

 

Allergies are a rising concern in the school setting, and that requires enlisting the support of parents and classmates to help make the school a safe and healthy place for all. This letter is to inform you that a student in your child’s school has a severe allergy to latex. Strict avoidance of all latex products is the only way to prevent a life-threatening allergic reaction. We are asking your assistance in providing a safe learning environment for this student. 

 

The school has taken steps to eliminate items that contain latex from the student environment in order to avoid any accidental contact with latex. The next most important action is to avoid airborne latex. Airborne latex comes from the aerosolized powder inside latex gloves and latex balloons. Therefore, no latex balloons or latex gloves are allowed inside school at any time. Mylar balloons are allowed. Signs will be posted on the entrance door of the school to remind everyone that no latex balloons or gloves are allowed inside the building.

 

Although a child with latex allergies cannot always avoid all contact, we can help reduce their exposure. We ask that students and teachers avoid bringing products to school that contain latex, such as rubber bands, erasers, and other products that are not labeled as latex-free. Working together, we can try to keep all our children safe and focused on learning.

 

Thank you so much for your help and cooperation! As always, please call me at 817-698-5800 if you have any questions or concerns.

 

 

Sincerely,

 

Campus Health Coordinator